Sunday, September 12, 2010







Saturday we spent all day at the Henry Ford Museum and village in Dearborn, MI. Be prepared to be amazed if you have the chance to go there.

Three exhibits I have to mention:

The car that President Kennedy was riding in on that fateful day in Dallas. (All of us old fogies still remember where we were ... don't we?)

The chair Lincoln was sitting in at the Ford Theatre.

I have mixed feelings about those two being on display. Just not sure that's the way they should be treated. Still thinking about it.

The last one gave me goosebumps. I climbed aboard the Cleveland Ave. bus no. 2857 that once traveled the streets of Montgomery, AL. Yes, Rosa Parks' bus. To be on it and walk to the back. Well, it certainly thrilled me.

The guide to that exhibit was very knowledgeable and wise. Maybe more on what we talked about later on.

The giant wheel in the background (24' in diameter) was machined with precision around 1858. Through an ingenious series of gears and connections, about a dozen different businesses were powered by this solitary steam-powered engine. I stayed an extra two hours at the Ford Museum to see this in action and listen to its history. (Time not wasted. Saw many things I would not have taken the time to look at otherwise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment